Bad technical supports, downtime, or slow loading pages, are just a little part of the reasons why you should consider switching hosts. The truth is that moving your website isn’t as hard as you think it is, so don’t be afraid to do it. The guidelines below will help you to move your current web host to a new one.
- Next, you have to track down the location of the files for your website on your current host. Create a copy of your files and database. If you find it hard to do this, you should ask for help from your current host.
- Next follows backing up or copying your current website’s database and files. You should do that to a folder on your computer. By using the backup feature (it is located in your control panel), download all of your current files to your computer. It is very important to copy your .htaccess file too.
- The next you’ve got to do is to copy your database. First, you’ve got to select the right database, and after that to export a compressed backup of your website’s MySQL database. After you complete these two steps, you are now ready to import them into your new account.
- Probably your new hosts have already sent you a letter, containing your cPanel logins. You have to sign into cPanel and upload the databases and files by using the file-upload for full-site backup.
- Don’t forget to grant the new database all favors for passwords, permissions, and usernames. You will have to enter the information into your MySQL databases interface in cPanel.
- When you complete all of the steps above, you will now have to test your new website. If you think that everything is displayed correctly and everything is operating properly, it is now time to launch your site.
- Finally, you will have to change your DNS settings. The place where your new DNS can be found is in your welcome letter you’ve received earlier.
It will take from 24-48 hours for pointing your domain to the new host and naming server propagation. In every 8-12 hours try to see if your website is active already. If after the final date of 48 hours your site is still not displaying, you should better contact the technical support of your new host.
To be sure that you will not have to move your sites, browse our best web hosting reviews and pick a trusted hosting company for your online projects.